This is a post sponsored by Gigi New York but all opinions are mine alone.
Diaper Bag for Toddler and Newborn:
The strange thing about having more kids is that you find you need less stuff. I carried way more stuff my first time around with Bowe even though I only had one baby. Somehow when you have your first you think you need ALL THE GEAR ALL THE TIME. Well, the third time around I am more of a minimalist, although any true minimalist might argue I only need one diaper…and I would answer have you met my baby? We go through two diapers alone just at the doctor’s office!
*This post may contain affiliate links which provides a small commission to me, at no cost to you if you choose to buy a product. To see my complete disclosure policy see this page.
My biggest pet peeve with most diaper bags is that they are so darn bulky and unattractive. Hence, I have never actually carried a true diaper bag. I think with most “diaper bags,” you sacrifice quality and style for a label that says “diaper bag” when any stylish big enough bag will do. And I think after four and a half years, I have finally found the jackpot of diaper bags–It is stylish enough for me to take to business events, conferences, and sturdy enough to be taken around town on my everyday errands. It is the perfect mom bag!
You already know how much I love Gigi New York. I have had their Large Zip Around Wallet and their All-In-One Clutch for four and a half years (way before they even knew I existed!) And both pieces are still in excellent shape despite the wear-and-tear of everyday use. But my old diaper bag was showing signs of wear, so I knew it was time for an upgrade. I had heard so much about the Teddy Tote, I was excited to try it out and see if it really would work for three kids four years and younger. And I am happy to say it does and I am in love!
The Teddy tote is absolutely beautiful, and I was delighted when I opened the box to smell the “new bag” smell. And of course, I had to have it monogrammed #monogramallthethings. Gigi New York is able to monogram most of their items (which you know I love!) I find that I put all my business/ me stuff in one side (my planner, my water bottle, my wristlet) and on the other side (there is a pocket divider down the middle) I keep all the stuff for the babes. I put business cards in the pocket, and when I only want to carry my valuables I just grab my Penny Phone Crossbody Bag.
The Penny Phone Crossbody Bag deftly fits my huge iPhone 6 Plus and my important cards. It is small enough to be able to grab when I just need to run to do preschool pick up/ drop off or go to the park. Even though it has never been an issue, I am always cognizant of leaving my valuables in the stroller when we are out and about. And with Jack on the run, I always need two hands free. Well, the Penny Phone Crossbody helps me with that. It has a strap that I can easily wear over my shoulder and I always have my valuables accessible. It is great for when you are babywearing too! When we go to the park (just down the street) on our evening walks or weekend mornings, I will often just grab my Penny Phone Crossbody Bag and throw a diaper and wipes into the bottom of the stroller–chances are we won’t need it if it’s such a short amount of time and Brooke is sleeping.
DIAPER BAG FOR TODDLER AND NEWBORN
ESSENTIALS FOR YOUR DIAPER BAG FOR TODDLER AND NEWBORN:
Here is what I have found to be the true “must haves” in any diaper bag:
- Two diapers for baby
- One diaper for toddler
- One pack of wipes
- One pair of spare undies for preschooler (if accidents are still a problem–we are thankfully beyond that)
- One spare pacifier
- Hand sanitizer
- Wet bag for blow-outs
- Spare outfit for baby
- Water bottle (as a nursing mom I am always thirsty!)
- One toy/ or pack of crayons
- Wristlet with phone and essential cards and ID
- Baby wrap or baby carrier–having the option to wear the baby frees up my hands to catch one certain little boy 😉
- Penny Phone Crossbody Bag
NON-ESSENTIALS FOR YOUR DIAPER BAG FOR TODDLER AND NEWBORN:
AKA the crap I no longer have to schlep around!
- A changing pad–I change Brooke on my lap or in the car most of the time and I can change Jack standing up as long as it’s not a #2 (he never wants to lay down anyway.) If I need to use something to lay her down, I simply use whatever blanket we have on her
- Lots of toys– if we are going out to dinner, I make sure I bring our crayons and one coloring book. I can easily rip out pages from it for each kid. And Brooke isn’t at the stage where she needs much distraction. That being said, I anticipate adding one toy to the mix for her when she is older. Pick a toy they love and that they only get when they are out and about.
- Snacks– if we are going out for a morning like the zoo, I pack a separate lunch bag. If we are going on lots of errands and I want to make sure they aren’t hungry but don’t want to do a meal, I will pack two applesauce packs or two apples, and if we go to the doctor’s I pack two lollipops (one for each kid!)
- A bulky nursing cover— let’s just say I am much more comfortable nursing public with Brooke than I ever was with Bowe or Jack (and I was pretty comfortable with it!) Heck, I nursed on the side of a mountain with Bowie! But now most of the time, I just use my shirt to make sure I am covered up. If I am out in full sun, I will also use a light blanket to shield her face from the sun. If you want a nursing cover, purchase a multi-use one that doubles as a blanket, a shopping cart cover, a sunshade, and a blanket (in a pinch!)
- Burp cloth/ Bibs– I do a lot of laundry so I usually just use the blanket we have with us. Brooke isn’t a huge spitter upper which helps. Otherwise, I would recommend bringing one large burp cloth that doubles as a bib.
- Portable placemats- I used them for Bowe but now just don’t like to schlep anything else in my bag. I clean off the table before hand with a wet wipe or a Norwex cloth.
And yes, the only way I got Jack to sit still for these photos was to give him a coveted lollipop–they only get them on special occasions (like doctor’s visits) so they were pretty excited!
Tell me, what do you love about your diaper bag? Do you use a labeled diaper bag or a stylish tote?